Venturing Out

On the first day it really struck me how incredibly huge everything was. Everything was grand, even the train station, which just so happens to have 'grand' in the title.







I felt slightly overwelmed and just walked aimlessly in any direction and towards anything that struck my eye... like the skyscraper on the right... or the skyscraper on my left. Also I got a little troubled every time I had to cross a road, suddenly becoming very aware that I may be 'J-walking' ... did a flashing red hand mean stop or go? Either way it was very unnerving and I felt that this scary countdown was rather unnecessary. 


We trailed the streets slightly aimlessly for about an hour, spotted Urban Outfitters and practically ran at it. There is something about finding a familiar place in a strange city, you get drawn to it... and then feel slightly ashamed at not being more adventurous. 
It struck me how little difference there was between the US and UK versions. Yes, it was bigger, of course. But the visual merchandising still had that warehouse feel seen in most UK stores. With brown wooden beams and industrial type boxes holding and displaying clothes.
One thing that did strike me however, was the till area, large wooden, antique looking desks held the tills and your purchase was made out by the sales assistant to be a major deal. I was only buying earings and came away feeling like I had made a huge investment. I don't know if it was the excitement of the trip or the employees sheer skill, but for someone who is usually thoroughly unconvinced by salesman banter, I felt positively giddy after my very small purchase.

My small but, i am assured, brilliant purchase.